Thursday, April 17, 2008

Retirement for Two

Now we are BOTH retired... and tired! Marvel didn't learn from my exhausting experience in the retirement rat race. Just like me, he's "hit the ground running," trying to do it all the first two weeks of his new status. The normal trauma of this life transition has been compounded by the loss of his eldest sister DeLois and his brother Leland. He is charged with managing Dido's estate and has taken this and a landscaping project on full force, as though there were an impending deadline for these tasks. Well, I suppose for the one, there is. We have also managed to make two trips in just a couple of weeks: one to the hill country, the other to Ft. Worth. I'm not sure this state of eternal days in the sun will stick, though. Every time I introduce Marvel to someone as "retired," he corrects me and says he is "between jobs." Seems a bit tentative to me.